May 18, 2011

That's me, Miss Milan.

My days in the bat cave are OVER! 
In Laman's terms it means I'm done sleeping in the basement, and I finally have my room back! 
It has been an insanely long process but at 3 o'clock today it'll all be done :)

I parted with all the old furniture in my room. 
I spackled little holes from picture frames, hooks, etc.
I patched a mongo hole from a wall-knee collision. 
Sanded the spackle flat. 
Picked out paint colors. 
Was almost reduced to tears when told to buy paint and paint supplies by myself. 
Convinced my mama to have mercy and go with me!
Period Charm for the walls.
Darkening Sky for the closet interior and stripe.
WHITE for the door and trim.

When I told the guy I wanted white he laughed and pulled out a stack of literally1400 white color swatches. We started going through them, but they were all tinted with black or brown. None were a true white and that was what I wanted. When I said "I want plain white. Is there anything with a name like that?" He pulled one more card out. "White." It even said it on the card so I said I would take it; in high gloss. He looked at me like I was crazy so, maybe I broke one of the cardinal rules of painting by siding with "White" instead of "Sandune." He's the expert, not me. 

After getting Frog Tape, and roller pads it was time to do business!
I learned about this thing called cutting in. You HAVE to do it unfortunately. 
Since the walls in my room were previously green and I was trying to make them yellow, cutting in was a long process but 3 coats later it was over with!
I lived in spankys and a 2xl red t/blue super man one, for 2+ weeks! I didn't want to ruin anything else.
Tape baseboards, doorframes, etc.
Cutting on the walls and ceiling: CHECK.
2 coats of paint on the walls and ceiling: CHECK
Back to Kwal Howel to buy more yellow paint....
Third coat: CHECK
Reverse all the tape...
Paint the door, doorframe, closet doorframe, and baseboards WHITE. Not too strenuous. 
Did get some on the carpet though...whoops. 
Tape baseboards and shelf in closet.

After I finished the cutting in for my walls I had had a hair appointment. While I was telling Jen about about my project she asked if I had heard of this nifty cutting in tool. It's about 4 inches wide, has wheels, and all you do is dip it in the paint and roll it on the wall. I about died after hearing that. I had spent hours manhandling that stupid paintbrush!!! At least I learned an original trick of the trade right? 
Cutting in? Go get the magic roller thing!!!

Went to get the magic roller thing.
Cut in closet.
Make pencil markings for stripe.

This part was nerve wracking to say the least. When you have a 8 inch navy blue stripe going around your room, there is not a chance you want that bad boy to be crooked. The top of the stripe was even with the top of my windows so I used a ruler to measure down from the ceiling; about 27 centimeters, around the rest of the room. I made it all the way around and discovered that the other window wasn't in the same position! It was about one and a half centimeters lower. At first this kind of stressed me out, but when it came time to paint I did some clever disguising and you can't even tell! :) After measuring I taped the stripe with tender love and care and went back to painting.

Painted the closet.
Used the magic roller thing to paint the stripe. 

It was a genius idea to say the least. I didn't want to use a roller and risk getting those tiny dot splatters on the yellow paint underneath, and I didn't want to use a paint brush and risk seeing the stroke marks. So, I improvised. It worked perfectly! 

2nd coat on stripe and closet.
Reverse the tape...
Paint shelf and baseboards in closet.
Take off all the tape!!!!
Annnnnndddddd.......
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

When I taped the stripe I hadn't pressed it down hard enough in some areas so there was leakage. Not as much tender love and care as I though...I was so bummed! I was excited to be done painting and now I had some major clean up to do. UGH. Good thing I'm a force to be reckoned with! The second I saw what had happened I got the yellow paint out of the garage and went back to work. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be! Luckily they weren't big drips. Just tiny spots on the edge of the line. I used the few bristles on the edge of the paintbrush and dabbed a drop of paint on. I finished in about 45 minutes and then I was really done!! 

***Que heavenly chorus and church bells ringing***

Next step, dresser assembly.
OH MY.
No one informed me that you have to put Ikea furniture together!! 
2 days and one power drill later, the dresser was a beauty!
Move clothes and other possessions out of laundry room and into dresser.
Move clothes out of storage bins on closet shelf and into dresser.
Move "sentimental" childhood possessions into 1 drawer of the dresser.
Arrange 3 flower vases, 3 books, 2 picture frames, and a tissue box on top of dresser.

Go to Smith's for 3M Command strips
Hang up 3 picture frames and giant mirror. 

Sit on desk and stare at the wonder you have created. 
hahhahhahahhaah
I really did for probably 10 minutes! After spending hours working on my room I couldn't believe I was done! I learned so much in the process, and I was impressed it looks so professional! Now, it being May 18 at about 11:30 am, I have 3 and a half hours until I can FINALLY move out of the bat cave :) The bed delivery/assembly guys will get here at 3, do their thing, and it's home free from there! I already have all the bedding I need, It just needs to be thrown on. But before all that can happen, one last thing.

Move green desk out of room. 
I say it goes. Dad says it stays but goes to the condo. Mom says...? I'm not really sure what she says.
Guess we'll find out when she get's back from the gym.

Basically I am more than enthused to have my room again. I have been living in the "bat cave" for about a month now. I started calling it that because A) it's dark 24/7 and B) it's dead silent. I sleep in until about 10 on a daily basis which is unheard of for me! I'm generally up about 8:45-9ish...
Imma put pictures up of the whole process. Stay tuned! 
Until then...

Adios bat cave, hola dormitorio!

:D

1 comment:

  1. loved this post!! i LOVE the new blog's look, wish mine would look THIS AWESOME! I think something very alike is gonna happen to me by the time I finish my 1st college year! Noticed you've been learning español :) Love ya <3

    ReplyDelete