Sep 22, 2011

That one time...? You know, the one where I about burned my apartment down?

Come one, come all! To the the freak show that is Jefferson 35.
If you live in Liberty Square and are within smelling distance of Jefferson, I apologize.

Last Friday I was a bit of a loser. Rather than hanging out after work I did homework, went to the mall, and went on a run. When I left my apartment everything was great. When I came back....SO not the case. It smelled horrible. Probably the most rancid thing ever. How do I explain the smell?
Let's try burning milk and cupcakes mixed with sour metal?
Or toxins from a waste disposal plant.
I threw open the windows and left the door open too.
...and I followed that process up with a thorough spraying of Fabreeze.
I assumed one of my roommates burnt some food while I was out because naturally nothing else should be burning right? I checked all the rooms just to be safe. There weren't any straighteners left on, no burnt crisps left at the bottom of the oven...the microwave wasn't sparking...I thought I was losing my mind. With a scent that strong there has to be source. Friday ended...blah blah blah...my roommates could smell the burning too, but we all just assumed it was someone else who did the burning. It was never discussed. Haha you can tell we are really close right? Right.....? Eventually it didn't smell as bad.

Sunday rolls around and after dinner I decided it was time to start the dishwasher. So I did. A while later I walked out of my room and into the kitchen where it smelled like crap. AGAIN. Someone kill me pleeease. It was even worse than the first time! I noticed the room looked foggy, but then I realized "Wait a second, you're inside Rylie. There can't be fog inside...OH SHOOT! Rylie the dishwasher is smoking. It's smoking!!!! DO SOMETHING!" So naturally I turn to my roommate who has been sitting there the whole time the dishwasher was running and say, "How long has it been doing this?! Why didn't you stop it?!?!?!?!" While I'm running over, and yanking it open.

No joke guys, my eyes started watering, I started coughing and I even gagged a little.
Then I left.

I went next door to pay a visit to my friends, and you want to know what they said as I walked in?
"Whoa...what's that smell..?"
Not only did the dang dishwasher make my whole house smell, but it made me smell too! Lauren attacked ME with Fabreeze, and only after was I allowed to stay....Blah blah blah...we played catch phrase...blah...threw candy corns at the fan...blah blah blah blah blah...ate pumpkin cookies...and then, this guy Mike walked in. "Hey guys! Guess what? hahahahahahah some girl next door melted a giant spoon in the dishwasher!"

Simultaneously...
Me: Uh...WHAT?! Spoon? That's my apartment?***Run back home***
Everyone else: Looks at me, bursts out laughing and follow me to my apartment.
These noobs hadn't come into contact with the full force of the smell so they had a nice surprise when they walked in. Serves them right for laughing ;)


So...there's the spoon. Or what used to be the spoon. No it's not a little plastic spoon you use to eat apple sauce. This is a big serving spoon. Lot's more plastic to melt. As soon as I saw this it all came flooding back go me. That was MY spoon. Should I even admit that...? One day I was unloading my dishes and it fell off the rack and landed in the bottom of the dishwasher. At the time I had a lot of stuff in my hands so I told myself I'd pick it up after I put the dishes away. Apparently I have short term memory loss or something because 30 seconds later, I had already forgotten. Awesome.

In case you've been skimming ****READ THIS****
The main point of this blog post is: I dropped a spoon in the dishwasher, the dishwasher melted said spoon, toxins were produced and now my plastic dishes are embedded with nastyness that can't be washed out, I made the entire 3rd floor smell-not just my dishes, and I also broke...? the dishwasher. Something is wrong with it because it has not drained out any water since the melting incident...So, if you would like to help my cause don't tell me I smell bad/weird/revolting because I can't afford to wash my entire closet. Also, any dishes or plastic serving spoons you could afford to send my way would be much appreciated. Mom? Dad? :)



No comments:

Post a Comment