Apr 20, 2011

Because I have been given much

The other day I was joking around with some friends and mentioned that coming to BYU has given me a heart. Before coming to college, I would only cry if I was really mad and they were tears of frustration, or if I was hurt. Now everything makes me cry. Everything. It is ridiculous! On Sunday I realized why. It is not because the Canon Center spikes their food with absurd amounts of estrogen, or the air in Provo is so polluted my eyes water uncontrollably, it's because of where I am. Not necessarily Provo, Utah 84604, but where I am in life.

These past 8 months I was blessed to live with the least dramatic, most sincere, loving girls I could have possibly wished for. They have set the bar high not only in their actions towards me, but in the way they live and bear their testimonies. Because I have been surrounded by such righteous sweet spirits these past 2 semesters, I have become more aware of the Lord's hand in my life and the companionship of the Holy Ghost. 

During testimony meeting on Sunday, a girl in my hall made a point that I loved. She relayed an experience she had while in one of her classes: Before taking a test the professor reminded the students that even if they got all the questions right, there was still one thing they could do to fail. By forgetting to write their name on the paper they would fail to get credit, and would discount themselves of the rewards for finishing the course. She then went on to relate this principle to Christ. How often do we do all that is required of us, but we do not write Christ's name upon our hearts? It was at this point that the cogs started turning, and the tears started flowing. While being at BYU students are expected to obey the honor code, attend church, fulfill callings, get good grades, have a job and maintain a stable social life. At some point during this past year I started doing these things not because it was required of me, but because I wanted to. I found enjoyment in reading the scriptures; it became more than an assignment for a class. I didn't mind following the dress and grooming standards; I found a new confidence in myself and was able to look upon others less critically. When I found myself looking at others in a derogatory light, I tried my hardest to revert my thinking and pick out only those things that were nice, and that I wouldn't be embarrassed to say out loud. At some point in this past year, I truly wrote Christ's name upon my heart. As I came to this conclusion while sitting in the BYU 250th ward's final fast and testimony meeting, I was extremely humbled and glad to be in the position I was. Humbled to know that throughout the year I had become increasingly receptive to the spirit as I would act upon the guidance and direction I was blessed with. Humbled to know that as you strive to be accepting and care for those around you, God will send immeasurable amounts of love that will fill your heart. Glad that the meeting had gone 25 minutes over just so I could hear what I needed to hear, and glad to know that there is nothing wrong with tearing up every now and then. It's what I do. 

As we sang "God Be With You Till We Meet Again" I began to tear up. Again. Leaving the dorms will be a bittersweet experience! I have made so many great friends and memories it is difficult to imagine that things will never be the same. Our boys are headed off on missions all over the world leaving the girls with nothing but off campus housing and RMs to get by. They are spiritual power houses-every one of them! I can honestly say it was an honor to befriend the boys of Budge 3200 and 3100. As they go off and serve missions, they will bless not only the lives of individuals, but entire generations to come. The knowledge of the restored gospel is an irreplaceable gift just waiting to be given. To close relief society we sang "Because I Have Been Given Much" and once again, I got teary eyed. After just contemplating how much I have been blessed with these past 8 months, this hymn really hit home. I have been blessed with a wonderful family that loves me more than I can imagine, the opportunity to attend the most unique uplifting university, and the example of friends, acquaintances, and even strangers who give me a yellow brick road to pattern my life after. Even though life goes on and things change, I will never forget the people I met, the memories I made, the lessons I learned, and the impact you have had.


Don't know what testimony meeting, relief society, a mission or the Holy Ghost is?
Check it out here! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment