Sep 4, 2011

Get this.
On Saturday night Lauren and I hit up Smith's to do some last minute grocery shopping. Lou needed some "non-refridgerated" juice so we ended up on the isle that has all the sodas and such. I was walking along, minding my own business, when out of the corner of my eye I see a grown woman-probably early 20's, take a Gatorade off the shelf, open it, and start drinking. Um....? Does she realize that she is not a 3 year old eating Rolo's off the shelf in the check out line where her mommy can pay for them...? What made it even funnier was that this girl looked like she could be someones relief society president. She was all done up, and did NOT look like a petty thief. As we were going around the corner I noticed her going for another one (blue this time) and I told Lauren to check it out. She did, we had our laughs, and moved on to the produce. When we got to the check out line, guess who was there? The dehydrated Gatorade thief. I really started to panic in my mind. Me and Lauren just looked at each other like, "Is this seriously happening right now?!"I think we both assumed she got thirsty and couldn't wait to get a drink, so she took a sip but would pay for it later. Nope. No Gatorade in sight. Words escaped me. This lady, with her husband by her side at this point, just stole 2 drinks. Did she think it wasn't stealing because she didn't take the container out of the store? I really would love to know what was going through that mind of hers. You have a car FULL of groceries ma'am. Is a couple dollars more going to make that big of a difference!? Lauren and I kept looking over at her and shaking our heads. We really didn't know what to do! This person looked like a model citizen, not a thief. So...we didn't do anything. I'm going to rationalize our inaction now. What if she told them about the drinks and paid for them but just didn't want to take empty bottles home? That would make sense right? Anyway, it was a lot more intense than it sounds in the moment. I was somewhat pissed and had another one of those "Who do you think you are?!" moments. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment